Position: Technical Sales Engineer
Location: Various at present; Chicago area, Southern Indiana, Houston Texas
Report: Solid line to Sales Manager
Purpose of the Position: Contribute towards the growth and profitability of the company.
Technical sales engineers use combined technical knowledge with professional sales skills, to provide advice and support on a range of products, for which a certain level of expertise is needed. They will assist colleagues with bids and proposals for clients from a technical perspective. Clients are comprised of technical staff from industrial companies, such as oil refineries, chemical plants, paper mills, and power plants. The emphasis of the work varies depending on the level of technical knowledge needed to sell a particular product or service. Technical sales engineers are a key point of contact for clients and provide both pre- and after- sales advice. They prepare and deliver presentations that propose solutions offered by Pumping Solutions, Inc./ProFlow Solutions that lower costs and increase productivity.
The technical sales engineer will negotiate contracts, assist internal team incorporate orders in to our system with the knowledge of the customers’ intent. They then periodically check up on clients to see how current installations are working and to offer additional services and products.
They are required to communicate regularly across the organization with other members of the sales team and colleagues from a range of departments, such as:
- Senior company managers
Duties include the below. Other duties may be assigned.
- Calls on plant managers, operators, management and support staff positions at various industrial accounts across several markets served.
- Drive the relationship and business toward awareness and practicability of products or services offered.
- Reviews blueprints, plans, and other customer documents including detailed engineering specifications, commercial terms etc. to develop and prepare cost estimates.
- Draws up or proposes changes in equipment, processes, or use of materials or services which would result in cost reduction or improvement in operations.
- Works with production engineers in initiating design changes for product improvements.
- Arranges for technical services to clients relating to use, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Draws up sales or service contracts for products or services.
- Provides and/or participates in the technical training and/or overall sales assistance for assigned territories.
- Assists in advertising/promotional programs, including trade shows, as assigned.
- Reviews customer inspection requirements and meets with customer inspectors or third party inspectors to make sure equipment meets all contractual requirements.
- Selects equipment including peripheral equipment and services suitable for customer requirements or may propose changes on existing equipment. Responsible for the development of proposals and quotations varying in complexity from simple to detailed complex tenders, for the products or services accordingly.
- Responsible for assisting management in the development of marketing and/or sales information or programs based on a variety of sources including, but not limited to, customer contacts, sales network communication, and programs to accomplish strategic objectives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university plus 3 years pump experience. Computer literate and able to perform word processing, develop and utilize spreadsheet software, utilize database applications and develop graphical presentations.
Ability to read, and interpret documents such as safety rules, manufacturing, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and engineering specifications. Ability to write proposals, reports and correspondence that is lucid, clear, and concise. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to read, interprets, and analyzes general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
Ability to work with standardized mathematical concepts such as probability, and statistical inference as well as those used in engineering practice. Ability to calculate figures such as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, discounts, interest, commissions, and apply to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Develop understanding of design, nature and application of the applicable products and/or services.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand, walk, use hand to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The associate is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop kneel, and crouch. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Sound judgment and good business sense
- Organizational skills
- Team-working capability
- Ability to build relationships quickly and effectively
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Resilience and tenacity
- Independence and self-reliance
- Driver’s license is essential for traveling to various clients
- Problem-solving ability to analyze customer issues and recommend appropriate solutions.
Salaries vary but will be the sum of a base salary plus sales commission and performance-related pay.
You should expect to work long or irregular hours to meet deadlines, secure deals, help customers with our products, and attend conferences and networking events.
- Technical sales engineers usually split their time between the office and visiting clients.
- Relocation may be necessary for some jobs, although new technology has made communications easier.
- Your ability to bring in work will affect the success of the company, so you are likely to be judged on results.
- Accountable for hitting the given annual sales target.
- Demands to meet sales targets and profit margins may create a pressurized work environment.
- Travel to and from client companies, trade shows, and conferences will extend the working day.
- Client visits usually occur on a weekly basis.
Join an exciting team and be part of a company that helps hard-working Americans do their jobs better.
Join ProFlow Solutions.
Send your cover letter, resume and/or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and we promise to get back to you immediately.